dcsimg
Capital Markets News, Data & Analysis

Asia-Pacific Deal of the Quarter: J-Power (Nomura, UBS)

  • 10 Nov 2004
Email a colleague
Request a PDF

J-Power float thrills overseas buyers

In a year of sparkling equity deals in Japan, the privatisation of Electric Power Development Co, known as J-Power, stands head and shoulders above the other issues.

In size alone the ¥375bn ($3.5bn) sale was impressive ? it was the largest Japanese IPO since the ¥2.1tr ($18bn) quasi-privatisation of NTT DoCoMo, the country's largest mobile phone operator, in 1998.

But perhaps more remarkable was the fact that the entire company was floated in one go. The Japanese government sold its 83% stake and the other 17% of the shares came from the nine Japanese power companies that had stakes in the company, giving it a 100% freefloat.

The IPO was noteworthy, too, for the excitement it provoked. Lead managers Nomura and UBS brought in enough demand to cover the deal more than 11 times and priced it at the top of the range of ¥2,500-¥2,700.

The international institutional tranche of the deal was about 20 times covered. At that price J-Power was valued at 13.4 times forecast profits to March 31, 2005 ? a discount of 10.6% to the average of the nine utilities traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Three quarters of the stock was allocated to domestic buyers, with 80% of this going to retail investors and 20% to domestic institutions. 

  • 10 Nov 2004

All International Bonds

Rank Lead Manager Amount $m No of issues Share %
  • Last updated
  • 28 Jul 2014
1 JPMorgan 211,014.28 786 8.00%
2 Barclays 198,779.14 670 7.54%
3 Deutsche Bank 190,910.54 750 7.24%
4 Citi 184,833.75 681 7.01%
5 Bank of America Merrill Lynch 172,658.98 609 6.55%

Bookrunners of All Syndicated Loans EMEA

Rank Lead Manager Amount $m No of issues Share %
  • Last updated
  • 29 Jul 2014
1 BNP Paribas 30,731.58 128 7.53%
2 Credit Agricole CIB 22,312.48 83 5.47%
3 HSBC 19,860.98 105 4.86%
4 UniCredit 19,386.12 93 4.75%
5 Commerzbank Group 19,255.22 109 4.72%

Bookrunners of all EMEA ECM Issuance

Rank Lead Manager Amount $m No of issues Share %
  • Last updated
  • 29 Jul 2014
1 JPMorgan 19,788.15 91 9.16%
2 Goldman Sachs 19,506.73 60 9.03%
3 Deutsche Bank 18,418.04 61 8.52%
4 UBS 16,709.68 64 7.73%
5 Bank of America Merrill Lynch 16,063.51 53 7.43%
Z